magnetic frames


Back in January there was a 'Pay it forward 2011' status that was going around: "I promise to send something handmade to the first 5 people who leave a comment here. They must in turn post this and send something they make to the first 5 people who comment on their status. *The rules are that it must be handmade by you and it must be sent to your 5 people sometime in 2011." I know I have all year, but I don't want to forget about it so I have started mine. I sent something out to one of my friends a little bit ago and I have been working on a couple other projects. It's been really fun because it's making me try different things. I wanted to make some magnetic frames because I thought it would be a really cute way to display your child's art.
I also made some simple magnets that have the recipient's children's initials so that the artist can take credit for their work.It was pretty easy and as always, it was a learning process so I know some changes I'll make next time I make some. Basically, I bought some inexpensive 8 x 10" frames, took the glass out, and painted them white. Then I cut some galvanized sheet metal (I bought in a 10' roll from Home Depot) to fit the frame and adhered it to the inside with liquid nails. That's pretty much it. As I was making them I kept getting all these different ideas, like, how cute it would be to make these with shadow boxes, or to make a bunch of them so you could have an entire gallery of your child's art framed that you can change out periodically.I wish I had taken pictures as I was going along so I could have done a nice tutuorial for y'all (Texas is rubbing off on me), but it really was pretty easy. You can find some other magnetic projects on one of my favorite craft blogs, Not So Idle Hands. I hope the two ladies enjoy their Pay it Forward crafts, I plan to mail them off next week!

Labels: , ,