"grateful praise" sign

This is my favorite time of year, the brisk weather, the changing leaves, Thanksgiving, then Christmas... it doesn't get much better than that. :) I've started decorating my house for Fall, but I really don't have many Fall decorations that aren't Halloween specific (think black crows and jack-o-lanterns) so I've been thinking of ways to decorate without spending any money. For example, a couple of days ago I picked up some free pumpkins from Home Depot. They're now living on my front porch with my chalkboard pumpkin. Remember that for next year, check out for leftover free pumpkins from stores after Halloween. But anyway, that's not what this post is about, it's about this:
I inherited a bunch of frames from my in-laws who are having a Spring Fall cleaning in their house, and I'll pretty much never turn down free frames!  You know there was no way I was going to keep it looking like this though. I primed it then painted two coats of leftover Bear Claw (it's a color we painted an accent wall in our living room in our first rental); it's a beautiful, warm, spice kind of color and the pictures really don't do it justice.
I wanted the frame a little more aged though so I mixed up some black craft paint with a little bit of water and wiped it onto the frame with a rag, like a glaze, then wiped off the excess.
With the frame how I liked it, it was time for me to make the sign for the inside of the frame. I designed a stencil then cut it out of vinyl with Cami.
After positioning the the stencil on a piece of leftover burlap that I already had, I used a paintbrush to dab black paint in the letters, being careful to dab in up and down motions so the paint wouldn't seep under the stencil. 
Ta-da! The finished product. I love the way it turned out and I'm excited to try more painting on fabric. I'm also excited to remake more hand-me-down frames. :) 



Labels: , , ,