valentine's peppermint bark

Before I get into today's super easy "recipe" (and I use that term extremely loosely), I wanted to share that the newest addition to our family decided to join us last Monday, February 3, 2014. Baby girl is now a week old and we are all doing great! Her big brother and sister love her a lot. :)

Okay, so Valentine's Day is this week, and as if I didn't have enough junk food in the house currently (one of the perks of having a baby, lots of meals and desserts brought over!), I decided to make more in honor of the day.
I had a bunch of mini candy canes leftover from Christmas and I decided to make some peppermint bark, but wanted to make it more appropriate for Valentine's Day


I whipped this up in no time at all, I just had to buy the pink Wilton melting wafers from my local Joann's, they were 50% off so they were cheap!


After lining a baking pan with wax paper, I used half a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips mixed with half a bag of milk chocolate for the bottom layer; I just like the flavor better when I'm using it for candy then straight milk chocolate. 
Don't tell my husband, he thinks anything other than milk chocolate is blasphemous. 
Then I let it cool in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes, brought it to room temperature and  poured the melted Wilton chocolate on top. Then I immediately sprinkled the crushed candy canes on and lightly pushed them down with the palm of my hand. I also added some pink and red sugar sprinkles for some extra Valentine's Day sparkle. If your chocolate starts to set up too fast, don't worry, it's an easy fix. Just put the tray in a warm oven for a few minutes till the chocolate starts melting again. 


I should probably give it to someone so I don't eat it all... hmm...


Linked to: 52 Mantels, Lamberts Lately, Polkadots on Parade,

Labels: