Semi-Charmed Winter 2014 Book Challenge

After seeing multiple posts on blogs about the Winter book challenge from Semi-Charmed Kind of Life, I knew I had to join.
What can I say? I've always been a follower.
But seriously, I LOVE to read and have felt the past couple of years like I haven't been reading nearly enough.


You can head over to Megan's blog to check out all the details, but here's the short version:


So here are the categories and my picks; I'm not gonna lie, some of these are tricky and I might be changing things up. There are also a couple I still need to decide on for sure.

*****

5 points: Freebie! Read any book that fits the general rules.
>>We'll see ;)

10 points: Read a book written by an author who has published at least 10 books. 
>>Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder, 238 pages.
I love this whole series and this book will be one of my "rereads". This time I plan on reading it to my littles and seeing if they're old enough to like it yet.

10 points: Read a book of short stories.
>>The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway by Ernest Hemingway, 650 pages
I read some of these years ago for AP English, but haven't read the whole book all the way through. Does that count as a "reread"?

10 points: Read a book with a food (not a drink!) in the title. 
>>The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer, 274 pages
I have been wanting to read this book for awhile so this is the perfect time to get 'er done.

15 points: Read the first book in a series that is new to you (so no rereads for this one!). 
>>The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien, 458 pages.
 My husband owns these books and obviously I've seen the movies, but I have never read any of these. At least I know enough though to know that the first book in the series is not The Hobbit. ;)

15 points: Read a book that was originally written in a language that is not your native language. 
>>Les Miserables by Victo Hugo, 1463 pages (unabridged)
This is my favorite musical and I've started the book on two different occasions, I'm hoping this time I can make it through.

15 points: Read a book written by a local author (either an author from your state if you live in the United States, or in your country if you live somewhere else.
>> Eragon by Christopher Paolini, 503 pages
I really lucked out because a lot of authors come from California. :) My husband has read this whole series and I haven't read any of them yet.

20 points: Read a "bookish book" (in which books play an important role, e.g. the setting involves a bookstore or library, a major character is an author, or a book that celebrates reading and books.
>>The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, 552 pages
This is another one that I have been wanting to read for awhile and figured this was a good opportunity to cross it off my list. Although, did you realize it was so long?

20 points: Read a book with a direction in the title (e.g. north, south, east, west or any combination of those). 
>>Witches of East End by Melissa de la Cruz, 272 pages.
Another one I've heard of and wanted to read the past couple years. Also, quite honestly, I was trying to decide between this and another one, and this one was almost half the length.

25 points: Read a book from a genre you don't usually read. 
>>Go Forward with Faith: The Biography of Gordon B. Hinckley by Sheri Dew, 653 pages.
This one has sat on our bookshelf almost our entire married life, and I thought it would be the perfect choice for this category since I think the only biographies I've ever read have been assigned for school.

25 points: Read a book with a song lyric in the title. Be sure to tell us the song name and artist as well! 
>>Hmm... I still have to decide. I'm hoping to stumble across something fantastic!

30 points: Read two books with a different meal in each title (e.g. breakfast, lunch, dinner, supper, brunch).
>>Thirteen at Dinner by Agatha Christie, 260 pages
I have read a couple of Agatha Christie books in the past and really enjoyed them so I'm sure I'll like this one.
>>Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut, 302 pages. A Vonnegut story I've never read, I saw this on a couple of other people's lists and it sounded interesting.


*****

In the whole list I only have one actual "reread", which is pretty cool I think. Looking at the length on some of these is a little scary, but that's okay! I'm sure I won't get the full 200 points but the important thing is to start gobbling up some books again!

Labels: ,