monday musings link up #3: a day in the life of a stay-at-home mom


6:50 am 
My alarm goes off and I pop out of bed, ready to greet the world with a smile on my face and little woodland creatures waiting patiently to help me get dressed and coifed. 
Ha.
More like, my alarm goes off, le sigh, and I quickly get out of bed before I have the chance to fall back asleep. Even these few minutes before the kids wake up mean the difference between an awesome-sauce morning and me yelling at my kids to "hurry UP!" every five minutes.


Right now we're in preschool world, so three mornings a week my little man has school from 8:15-11:15, which means we all have to be up, dressed, fed, and loaded in the car by that time.
By the way, in case you didn't know, it takes ten times as long as you think it will to load three children under the age of five into a car.

Does everyone have shoes? Jackets? Do you have your backpack? Did I remember to pack your snack and water? Do you have your library book?
Didn't I just check your diaper little lady?! You were fine two minutes ago!
And you need to go potty before we leave the house, actually both of you need to go potty before we leave the house.
Okay, go climb into your car seats, I'm going to strap your baby sister and then I'll come check your straps... why do you smell again? Didn't I just change your diaper?! You're killing me smalls!

Or some slight variation of the above conversation. Ugh. I already need a nap.

8:30 am
The girls and I get home from taking big brother to school; I push the power button on the tv and Curious George comes to life on PBS. The girls settle down (usually with more food because they're always hungry!) while I continue the housework I started before we left. Ideally, by the time we've left for school in the morning, I've unloaded the dishwasher from the previous night and started a load of laundry. So, switching over laundry and doing breakfast dishes is usually on the agenda. This is also usually the time I sit down for a couple minutes with my own breakfast and plan out the day.

Dang. It's already after 9. Little lady should have been down for her morning nap already.


I find her, inevitably change her diaper again, read her a quick book, and lay her down for a nap. Half the time she'll fall asleep, and half the time she'll just lay in there talking to herself for awhile. Either way, she has some quiet time and I head into the bedroom to work on blog stuff for 30 minutes.
Yes, I have to time myself or else I spend way too long and don't get other things done.
I spend that 30 minutes writing and editing posts, editing photos, catching up on my two blog Facebook groups, or scheduling things out on my Facebook page, whatever needs to be done. It's over way too fast and then it's out to he family room to turn off the tv (Now Daniel Tiger's dad is singing about when you have to go potty stop and go right away... wise words for my little miss Mr. Tiger. Hmm, maybe I should let her finish watching this one...) and do some "school" with my almost-three-year-old. We talk about letters and numbers, shapes and colors, and do some fun learning games, all in about 30 minutes.

Oh, baby sister is awake, perfect timing, because we have to go pick brother up from school.

11:40 am
Yes, all of this and it's not even lunch time yet.
Are you still reading?...

We picked up big brother and after a quick stop at the Chevron station for a Diet Coke mixed with a little bit of Wild Cherry Pepsi for mommy, we're back home and I start lunch. When I'm a really nice mom we stop at the park for about 20 minutes, but I guess I'm just not a nice mommy today. ;)

All the kids chow done on lunch and somehow it's already 1:00 pm and time to put the girls down for their naps. We read a book, which of course big brother has to join us for (I love that my kids already love books!), and I close the door behind me. Littlest miss is fussing a little bit but I know she'll calm down eventually.

I sit down and enjoy a peaceful lunch with some Netflix, then head back to the computer and set my timer for 60 minutes this time. Today my son is playing nicely in his room instead of watching tv right now, score one for the home team. I spend this 60 minutes doing more blog maintenance, returning emails, or maybe taking photos for future blog posts.


Sometimes I feel like I have to pry myself away from the computer, but today I'm thankful to get up and I feel like I got some good work done. My little man asks me if he can watch a show. Sure buddy. I spend the rest of the afternoon doing housework and getting dinner ready. The girls wake up and I send them out to play with their sand table on the back deck.

Oh wow, you guys have made quite the mess, huh? How about early baths tonight? The kids all take turns bathing, and then I turn on Baymax to keep them entertained and help preserve the cleanliness of the house until their daddy gets home and we can eat dinner.

5:20 pm
Mike walks in the door and for once I actually have dinner ready on time (it's hard to plan out sometimes because he could be home any time from 5:00 - 6:00). I try to head out for a jog a couple nights a week, but... I just don't 'feel like it tonight. We sit down and eat together while he asks little man how school was and what he did (to which he gives his standard answer, "I listened"). Hubby and I talk to each other, it's often my first conversation with another adult all. day. long. Yet somehow, we mostly talk about the kids.

Since the kids have already had baths, we decide to go for a little family walk. Which, of course, means a whole round of "Does everyone have sandals and sweaters? Check the baby's diaper, will you? You both need to go potty before we can go! No sweetie, you're not going to walk, you're going to sit in the stroller. Honey, are you sure she doesn't need a jacket? It's getting chillier...".

After getting home from our walk we still have a  little time before bedtime, so Mike plays the Memory Game with the two older kids while the little lady and I keep ourselves occupied.

7:30 pm
Okay, bedtime! Let's brush teeth, read scriptures, and say prayers! You both need to go potty before bed. Who wants to pick the book to read tonight? Sure honey, what song do you want to sing? No, you just had water, if you drink more you're going to have to go pee-pee again.

And, breathe...

I'm not going to lie, it's now one of my favorite times of day. Over the next couple hours I might have more housework to do, more blogging to do, laundry to fold, or dinner dishes to clean up. 
But then, then I get to relax. I take  shower, I grab a sweet little treat and sit down while I watch an episode of Bones.

11:10 pm
It seems like, no matter what, or how ahead I think I am, I am always going to bed around the same time. I really should have gone to bed an hour ago. 

Oh well, I'll be sure to do that tomorrow. 
Ugh, I forgot about all those errands I have to run tomorrow! It's going to be a long day...


*****
Little Dove Creations


Now it's time for me to hear from you! Monday Musings is a link up where we get to know a little something about each other, whether it be a trial or triumph, a memory or a wish for the future.  Do you want to share your favorite trip with us? Your childhood crush? A day in your life? Link up a vintage post, or a new one, it doesn't matter as long as we get to know something about you! Please either grab the Monday Musings button or include a text link on your original post, and be sure to visit and comment on some other posts!


Labels: , ,